Scott Van Pelt Gets His Own Hour On ESPN Radio (And Other Interesting News)

Tuesday, April 22, 2008


I had heard a rumor about this last week but it was confirmed late last night and made official today, but Scott Van Pelt is getting the open hour voided by Stephen A. Smith on ESPN Radio. Van Pelt will also be the full-time co-host fro the Mike Tirico Show and starting May 1st the show will be called the "Tirico and Van Pelt Show".

"Clearly some execs made a decision that will ultimately cost them their jobs," Van Pelt said of his more prominent role with ESPN Radio. "Before that inevitable end, I look forward to all the opportunities this presents to work with people I respect and enjoy. The solo hour will likely advance the level of discourse to a place never before heard in human history."

Tirico said, "I am thrilled to have a friend like Scott as a regular partner, and I look forward to the trouble he will cause on his own in the third hour."
With those changes also comes more departures as Herbie and Michele Tafoya will no longer be a part of The MTS and will more than likely be back on Football coverage for the Summer. In all honesty this is a great decision and I think an hour with all that Scott Van Pelt has going is probably perfect for him and the listening audience.

When I figure out more details I'll be sure to pass them along, but for now look for it in the 3-4pm slot following The Mike Tirico Show.

Tirico & Van Pelt debuts May 1 (ESPN.com)

17 Comments:

I'm no fancy big city lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that Van Pelt is a huge upgrade over Cheese Doodles.

GMoney said...
Apr 22, 2008, 4:12:00 PM  

i guess i don't get Scott Van Pelt...I think he tries way to hard and is massively annoying

Anonymous said...
Apr 22, 2008, 4:27:00 PM  

I'm the opposite of you cityguy. I find him to be very funny and frank about most things. I think he routinely saves Tirico from himself when he tries to go all "Brett Favre Retirement Coverage" on some topics.

Anonymous said...
Apr 22, 2008, 4:55:00 PM  

Oh, Scott Van Pelt...it's nice to see your obnoxious self-deprecating humour extend to press releases and not just to booty-calls.

Anonymous said...
Apr 22, 2008, 5:23:00 PM  

Van Pelt belongs on radio IMO. His act is too kooky to deliver the sports news. But "More Cowbell!" references and blatant hoemrism toward the Washington Redskins is pretty accepted on radio.

Anonymous said...
Apr 22, 2008, 5:33:00 PM  

I really like Van Pelt. He has a good sense of humor, seems humble (a rare trait at the "World Wide Leader") and approaches things from a fan's perspective. I think he does a good job on SC and will be one of the few shows on ESPN radio that I will listen to.

Mal said...
Apr 22, 2008, 6:27:00 PM  

I wish Van Pelt had taken over for Dan Patrick instead of Tirico in the first place. I think he had me at "Conchords".

Anonymous said...
Apr 22, 2008, 7:36:00 PM  

OK, I guess I'm out of the loop...what happened to S.A.S.?

joepadon said...
Apr 22, 2008, 8:06:00 PM  

the Eagle/Raftery team is kicking ass right now on the TOR/ORL game on NBATV

Sam said...
Apr 22, 2008, 9:47:00 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Apr 23, 2008, 12:32:00 AM  

I concur with the last Anonymous; Van Pelt would've been a great replacement for DP, especially after the three hours of douchebaggery from 10-1.

UnHoly Diver said...
Apr 23, 2008, 1:08:00 AM  

Van Pelt's great, but, honestly, I'm going to miss Michele Tafoya on the show. I thought she was a breath of fresh air.

SAS? Oh, please, deliver me. If only we could get his yapping yap off the teevee too.

Unknown said...
Apr 23, 2008, 2:23:00 AM  

I bet within a few months SVP replaces Tirico's show entirely.

Anonymous said...
Apr 23, 2008, 7:21:00 AM  

This is good news. Even better if what anon 721 bets comes true. Tirico=beyond bland. Of course, with the good comes the not-so-good...no more Tafoya. Granted, I only catch about an hour each day(and will miss VPs slot entirely), but Michelle certainly is entertaining, well-informed and a great sidekick type.
I, too, haven't heard about SAS. Not that I really give a sh*t.

Monty said...
Apr 23, 2008, 9:57:00 AM  

I think Van Pelt was one of the guys ESPN looked really hard at to take Dan Patrick's place before deciding on Tirico.

We Got a Guy There - A baseball blog (Pro and College)

TB said...
Apr 23, 2008, 11:39:00 AM  

tb,
Loved Tafoya but this also means no more Kirk "GOSH!" Herbstreit anymore either. Does anybody notice that Tirico breathes heavily into his mic when he's not talking. It's so annoying!

Anonymous said...
Apr 23, 2008, 12:28:00 PM  

Nah, never noticed the breathing. I think Tirico has some of the best mic presence in sportscasting.

I caught the new format with Van-P last week and it seems to fit well!!

Anonymous said...
May 5, 2008, 1:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment